Monday, March 29, 2010

Day of the Double D's

I had a really hard run out to B.C. I think I may have set a personal record, in fact. Very tiring. I got to Purolator out by the airport and since it was Sunday, the place was almost deserted, other than a little sweeping truck cleaning the parking lot. I pulled up to the speaker at the security gates and asked where they wanted me to drop the trailer. The man did not speak very good English at all and sounded Asian. I had a lot of trouble understanding him. It got worse when I got back to the intercom at the gate, leaving the yard. I shall call him SG, for security guard.

SG: You have a trailer?
LIZZY: No, I just need my paperwork signed.
SG: Ok, you drive to the office. I sign. Drive one half-a-meter.
LIZZY: (pauses) But that’s like, one and a half feet. Do you mean half a kilometer?
SG: No. Is a half-a-meter.
LIZZY: You mean around the corner of the building?
SG: Just a half-a-meter. You drive. I meet you there. Thanks.

Shaking my head and laughing to myself, I drove around the corner of the building, and there he was, coming out to meet me with a smile on his face. A little old Asian man with white hair. He came up to the window and took my paperwork.

SG: Good morning. Nice to meet you.
LIZZY: Thank you, you too.
SG: It’s a nice truck?
LIZZY: Yes, it’s alright. I like it.
SG: Ah, you remember the good old days of the Double D’s?
LIZZY: (slightly taken aback) Excuse me? The what?
SG: The Double D’s. You know.
LIZZY: (confused and possibly blushing) No, I’m sorry, I don’t.
(Is he trying to say I have small boobs? That can’t be it….)
SG: Clutches. Double D clutches. Maybe they were before your time?
LIZZY: (breathing a sigh of relief) Must be. I’m very young…….

I smiled, said goodbye and continued out of the yard, thanking my lucky stars I hadn’t opened my mouth and said something really embarrassing or stupid while in my state of confusion. But I always wonder…..what ARE these old men getting away with while we think they are so innocent?

No comments:

Post a Comment