Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Accident

Sunday morning I hopped on my motorcycle, and headed back to Cambridge. About half an hour from my parent's house, a light mist of rain began to coat my windshield and my helmet visor. "Crap, I'm gonna get wet on the way home," I thought, as I hit the brakes to slow for an approaching bend.
I woke up groggily in a hospital bed, wearing a hospital gown. All my clothes had been cut off, and my arm was laying on pillows beside me, looking strangely twisted, and very painful. I began to make out people in the room. The first was my Mother. "Mumsy, where is my bike?!", I said in a panic.
MUMSY: Honey, you have other things to worry about right now. You crashed the bike.
LIZZY: (nearly frantic) Is it ok?!
MUMSY: No, dear. It's totalled.
LIZZY: Oh no. (with a slight smile) Guess that means I'll have to go bike shopping again.
EMILY (my cousin): Wow, those must be some good drugs they've got you on.
LIZZY: Did someone call Kelly? I need to tell her I can't make it for tomorrow. We'll have to put work off for a day or two.
MUMSY: A day or two??!! I think it's a little more serious than that. You are about to go in for surgery. I don't think you need to be calling work at this moment.
LIZZY: My hand is completely numb. That's so odd. I can't even feel it.
MUMSY: Nurse! She can't feel her hand! Didn't you tell us to watch for that?
A nurse and a doctor rushed over at this point and moved my arm onto a board. I was only half with it I was so drugged. "Quick," they said, "We've got to straighten it before there is permanent damage!" And the nurse pinned my arm down while the doctor pulled it to straighten it. No drugs could dull that pain. I yelled, then relaxed, breathing heavy.
LIZZY: (whimpering) Where is Davey?
MUMSY: Snoogie (my brother), called him and left a message on his machine. D-Prime and Spaz went to Cambridge to get your pickup truck and chihuahuas. They will be back tonight. And your phone is going crazy but I don't think you should have it right now. Oh, and it's time for your surgery. See you after, honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment