Monday, July 19, 2010

Sassy's Rude Awakening

Sassy and I arrived in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, and parked for the night at a Flying J truck stop to sleep as we had to deliver in York, Pa the following morning. Davey had called and said he was going right by where we were and if he got there at a reasonable time he would stop and see me. He arrived at three am. I let him into the truck while still half asleep, and he crawled into bed with me, kissed me goodnight, and I passed out on his shoulder. Sassy never woke up. In the morning a groggy Sassy peered down from the top bunk to say she was up, but all she saw was a half naked dude she didn’t recognize. She looked all shocked and raised her eyebrows, pointing emphatically at Davey who was still asleep. I chuckled. “It’s Davey. He got here at three in the morning.”
“Ohhhh, ok… It kinda freaked me out. I don’t remember anyone coming in and I’ve never met Davey so I had no idea who it was and to wake up with a strange guy in the truck just about scared me.”
Davey woke up and rolled over. “Davey, Sassy….Sassy, Davey.”
The two of them got along well. Davey acted like he was 12, and that suited Sassy just fine, although she harassed him so much that at one point he mouthed the words “a bit overwhelming” to me.
My truck had been having some issues with the voltage and the check engine light kept coming on, so Davey checked things for me. “I think you have a bad battery.” He said…”No, wait- they are all bad. You need to get to a shop before your truck decides to die.”
This was bad news, but at least we were very near a Volvo dealership, so we booked the truck into the shop and the company paid for our hotel with a pool. Davey stayed that night too, and Sassy and him got into a silly argument about who was tougher, and Sassy ended up getting unceremoniously thrown into the pool. She was a good sport about it and we ended the evening with pizza. So our week ended up being rather short and not much work was done, but we did manage to relax and spend a lot of time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment