Saturday, July 17, 2010

Sassy's First Trip

This week was different in some good ways, and some bad ways. I talked Mumsy into letting my youngest sister, Sassy, who is 14, come with me in the truck. We got to my hometown the day before we had to work, and decided to ignore the phone calls from Mumsy who was considering driving the three hours to where we were to take Sassy home. Instead, we went for a motorcycle ride. We got our gear on and met Kristi at her shop. As we were preparing to leave, I rolled my bike up beside Kristi's and parked, except somehow I got the bike a bit off balance and the weight was too much much for me. In slow motion, struggling to hold the beast up, I dropped it. All 460lbs of it. On my foot. Kristi and Sassy rushed over to help me pick it up, as my ankle and foot were pinned under it. I was bummed. I had bent my clutch lever and scratched the left side fairing. My beautiful bike had an ugly scar. Russ came over to help out by kicking me while I was down, making fun of me mercilessly.
“Aw, don’t worry, hun,” said Kristi. “Look at the bright side. I’ll keep it here and fix it for you and it’ll be as good as new by the time you come home next weekend. And you know it’s free of charge for you. We can just wet sand that and get new levers. It’ll be ok.”
Thank goodness for Kristi. She had me feeling better in no time, although my swollen and purple foot was beyond her expertise. But I don’t think I broke anything, so it could have been worse.
The next day we headed out to work, and although Sassy and I talked and laughed for the first while, she soon became bored of the driving and spent most of her time plugged in, either to my Ipod or watching movies. Every once in a while I would make use of her, as she quickly figured out how to do the paperwork, so I left that to her. She was also excellent at taking care of sending all the messages back and forth on the Qualcomm, (satellite computer), and helped a lot at keeping everything running smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment